About Me and My Blog

My photo
Hi Welcome to my blog! With so many people I wanted to share my travels with I thought this would be a perfect way. If in reading this blog you would like to share it with others, please do so. I am dental hygenist during the day and traveler when ever I can. I enjoy going to a different place and experience when ever I have a vacation break from work. I love to take pictures wherever I go and I have been to many places both here and abroad over the last 3 years. My big adventure for my birthday was to Yellowstone,Grand Tetons and Jackson Wyoming. I met a friend there who is on his own adventure. We camped and hiked in the park and some back country overnights. This was my first time with the backpacking overnights but my friend was a perfect teacher with his experience and patience. A little bit more about me....I am 54 and have raised my children thru college.I have recently moved back to my hometown of Winter Park Florida and am regaining many of my fond memories as well as making new ones! I hope to share my experiences and adventures with others in hopes to encourage us to go out there and see some stuff!

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Update....we have connections!!

Hello all, thanks for your patience and hanging with me. We have not been able to get electric internet or cell all at the same time until now! so we are sitting in Grant Village inside Yellowstone in the General Store getting caught up. I am posting some of my favorite pictures for you along with the events so far. Wish you all were here! it is awesome.! T

June 18 Update……
Well what can I say??? Being off grid is a bit of a hassle but it is so nice too! I was so excited to have a way to share with everyone that I did not stop to think I might not be able to have access to the Internet! But today I do. At least for a bit. So let me fill you in on the adventure so far. So here we go…….

Friday the 13th I flew into Jackson Hole Wyoming coming in thru the Grand Teton…. did you know the airport is on Federal Park Land? I had the privilege of sitting next to a geology professor from the university of Texas and he explained where I was and where I was going. The snow had been falling for the last 3 days with temps into the 20s until that day. The high was 51-night time temp 30. Really nice!
As we drove from the airport we stopped to watch a small herd of bison cross the road with their calves to settle in before sunset at 9pm. You will see the pics….. hold on just a minute. We camped for two nights in Gros Ventre (grow vont) taking a 4-mile day hike on Death Canyon Trail. Not too sure where the name came from but it was a good first day hike. The goal was to get to Phelps Lake overlook. It was a pretty easy with lots cool places and open meadows. One of which we found a black bear still wearing his winter coat. He crossed the trail twice while we were visiting the overlook. The lake is large and that deep blue very much like the northwest pacific area. After having a light lunch we headed back with no site of the bear. That night we sat for the Rangers Campfire talk and were joined by 5 large bull bison. Probably out for a “bulls” night. I signed up for the Junior Ranger Program…..got a really cool patch….and thus began the adventure.

Sunday the 15th we headed out to Colbert Bay for the Luxury recharge meaning we had electricity hot water and a slight chance of cellular just not mine. After a night of recharge and planning we went back to dry camping for 2 nights. Amazingly, its like hotels…the hook up is 2x as much the dry. We packed our backpacks to head out on our first overnight. We decided to do Cascade Canyon North Fork. We spoke to the rangers and found that there was snow about the last ½ mile to the fork and then only snow past that. Perfect!! We wanted …wait….I wanted to camp in the snow. Michael was most kind to accommodate me. The bear activity in the area was not too bad due to the late snowfall but we still we are alert. We bought our bear gun spray and used a bear box for our food. It is a compact cylinder with a lock on it that will discourage the bear should he run across it. We still kept it far from camp. We hiked most of the day with a 1200 foot increase in altitude. After parking in the lot we loaded our packs on our backs….me with my Deva 60 carrying about 35lbs and Michael carrying 50lbs. When doing an overnight it is crucial you have a dry set of socks and clothes plus any medications, emergency equipment and water most important. Most of the weight was water.
There was so many different landscapes as we hiked up to Inspiration Point and then onto Cascade Canyon. Snowdrifts were still very prevalent and odd as we trekked into the canyon barron and dry the mountains towering over us. The temp was perfect with the sunshining down and nice breeze from the Cascade Falls that we followed along. As we got closer to our campsite, we began to wonder who put all this snow here??? Having not done this before, I was like a kid just trekking along. It was beauty like I have not seen. Once past the bridge that crosses over the Cascade River we were hiking in snow. As we got to the fork, we still had about two hundred yards before the area for camping. By now we had been traveling since noon and it was now after 8pm with no dinner and light closing in about 45 minutes. My next step was up to my thighs in snow and finding camp was on immediate due to wet feet and pantleg. Micheal quickly scouted out a perfect spot of grass surrounded by snow about 100 feet from the trail. In less than 15 minutes we had the tent up dinner cooking and packs ready to put inside. Dinner was Chicken and Rice soup hot tea and saltine crackers. It was AWESOME!!! We got into the tent before dark and waited for the sun to go down toasting the trip with the 3oz of wine I brought. Weight is everything when you carry it yourself.  The crazy part was the late night potty break in 35 degrees in the middle of nowhere!!! But there is a reason I go to the gym and practice my squats and lunges. Lol
Morning came early and we had breakfast of coffee….fresh….apple, cheese and tuna wrap. Camp broken we headed back down. As we traveled we met others coming up and were able to chat and share stories. As we got into the canyon, we saw a bull moose laying down having his lunch. It was incredible to see such a creature. Lying down he was huge! We landed back to Jenny Lake at 4:30 our total trip taking a total of 14 hours plus sleep time. It was so worth the walk. One note is that I had no trouble with my pack fitting and riding well. Unfortunetly, Michael had a bad time with his pack. If you ever want to do something like this…get fitted by someone who knows their stuff when picking out a pack. It makes all the difference in the world.

Tuesday June 17th

Back at camp we regroup and do some close by sight seeing of the other campgrounds and some house cleaning before we head to Yellowstone tomorrow. Can’t wait to see the Old Faithful!!!! Good night for now. Tracey






1 comment:

Unknown said...

MOMMA!! So proud of you doing an overnight, and you know im totally jealous of this trip! I wish I was there! I laughed out loud as i ready about your meals of choice only because i can literally see you enjoying that tuna wrap as if it was a $50 meal :) And awesome job on becoming a Junior Ranger! Cant wait to tell stace and megan :) Well Love you and talk to you soon!

Tay